Upper eyelid blepharoplasty, or an upper eyelid lift, is the most effective way to refresh the upper eyelid and is one of the most commonly performed procedures at our office. This procedure can rejuvenate many aging features:
- Sagging upper eyelid skin
- Upper eyelid puffiness
- Poor visibility of upper eyelid or eyelashes
- Reduced visual field
- Heavy upper eyelids
- “Tired” appearance
Why does the upper eyelid change with time? The reasons are many, but two main factors include a loss of eyelid skin elasticity and increased protrusion of orbital fat around the eye. To obtain a more refreshed, youthful appearance, our main objectives are to remove the redundant upper eyelid skin and excess orbital fat.
There can be a wide difference in surgeons’ techniques and results. Positive word-of-mouth about our technique has made this one of our practice’s most popular procedures. Upper eyelid surgery is frequently combined with other procedures, especially lower eyelid blepharoplasty. The results are natural, long-lasting and this is usually a one-time procedure.
How Is It Done?
- If performed alone, upper eyelid surgery can be performed under local anesthesia
- Otherwise, you will be administered “twilight anesthesia,” meaning that you are asleep during the procedure, but you will continue to breathe on your own without the need for a breathing tube.
- A single incision is made in the natural eyelid crease so that after it heals, the incision is nearly invisible.
- Any excess muscle under the skin is removed.
- The excess fat is identified and removed.
- The incision is then closed with a single stitch under the skin that is removed after one week.
- You will feel mild discomfort and may use pain medication for 2-3 days.
- Within a week, bruising and swelling will begin to subside and can be covered with make-up.
- You may wish to wear sunglasses during the initial healing time so you feel comfortable resuming normal activities.
- You can begin light exercise within a week and resume full activities in 2 weeks
- Final results will be evident within a few weeks to a few months, depending on individual healing.
Upper eyelids, Before/ After 6 weeks
Upper/lower eyelids and laser, before/after 4 months
Frontal before/after 2 months
Upper/lower eyelids, Before/After 5 months